[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0065 A New Model for Collections and Indices

Thorsten Seitz tseitz42 at icloud.com
Wed Apr 27 04:32:00 CDT 2016

Am 27. April 2016 um 01:16 schrieb Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com>:

on Tue Apr 26 2016, Thorsten Seitz <tseitz42-AT-icloud.com> wrote:

Am 26. April 2016 um 01:16 schrieb Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution
<swift-evolution at swift.org>:

on Mon Apr 25 2016, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

Quick thought:

Why are you reaching for the "form..." rule for the mutating methods when
there

are clear verb counterparts?

location: locate

successor: succeed

We're not using successor(i) anymore, as noted below, and furthermore
c.succeed(&i) strongly implies the wrong meaning. I didn't consider
using

c. locate(...:&i ... )

primarily because I never thought of it and nobody suggested it IIRC,
but I also don't see how it would work in a family with
c.location(after: i) et al. Suggestions?

What is wrong with

c.locate(after: i)

?

Just to start with, it doesn't form a noun phrase.

Ah, my bad, I had completely missed the point of the problem (somehow thinking in the old model, not realizing that `c` is the collection and `i` to be mutated instead of `c`).

Yeah, in that case I totally agree :-)

Sorry for the noise...

-Thorsten