[swift-evolution] Localization support for string interpolation

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sun Apr 24 16:33:07 CDT 2016

> On Apr 21, 2016, at 12:42 AM, Daniel Höpfl via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hi there!
>
> TL;DR: Here’s my idea for a better localized strings handling in Swift.
> It includes both, support for string interpolation support for
> NSLocalizedString, and a new string delimiter `...` that can be used
> instead of NSLocalizedString("...”).

FWIW, this is closely related to the idea of extending string interpolation to support generalized “printf” style modifiers, which would allow very expressive formatting inline in a string interpolation.  This has not yet come to pass, but a write up of the ideas are available here:
https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/TextFormatting.rst

-Chris