[swift-evolution] mutating/non-mutating suggestion from a Rubyist

James Froggatt conductator at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 24 10:38:34 CDT 2016

The idea of distinguishing all mutating/non-mutating functions with only the assignment operator did occur to me as I wrote that.
Using such a rule would allow automatic generation of mutating methods from non-mutating ones, since the naming would no longer need changing.
However, this would also mean scrapping half the Naming Guidelines, so I'm hesitant to put that possibility forward as a serious proposal.

I think union (verb) vs union (noun) would work as a one off, though, since it fits the guidelines as they currently stand. It would be a nice way to demonstrate that the compiler can make the distinction in a public API.

From James F