[swift-evolution] multi-line string literals.

Patrick Gili gili.patrick.r at gili-labs.com
Sat Apr 23 12:52:48 CDT 2016

This is oversimplifying the problem of escaping. Simply relaxing the grammar for the content of the string literal doesn't always work.

For example, a regular expression that detects a might be written "\N*\n". If escaping is enabled, then the compiler changes "\n" into line feed, which does not have the same meaning to the regular expression engine as "\n".

-Patrick