[swift-evolution] [Proposal draft] Make Optional Requirements Objective-C-only

Michael Peternell michael.peternell at gmx.at
Sat Apr 23 04:51:26 CDT 2016

In my opinion, requiring something is almost never something that I would describe as a "feature". I don't really care if the keyword is called "optional" or "objcoptional", I think both are fine, but I wouldn't want it to read "@objc optional". The "@objc" in "@objc optional" should be optional. Also, "@objc optional" seems to imply that there is something like "optional" without "@objc" as well. Maybe I go to a coffee house and order a coffee. After 15 minutes I ask when it will come. The waiter says that it will not come because I should have ordered a coffee "with caffeine". I complain: "but you didn't bring me any coffee at all". He said: "Yes, because we don't sell coffee without caffeine". "You should have said that", I replied angrily. So he explained it: "Our house is called 'real coffee contains caffeine', so I thought you'd know that" - "I understand." ;)

To me, it's like a restaurant owner who complains that some customers say "please" while other customers don't. For better consistency, he now forces each customer to say "please" as well and to be polite. He also tried the opposite approach, by forbidding the word "please" in his rooms. But some polite customers became very unfriendly when he told them in a harsh tone to not use the "P-Word" here. So much for the Swiftian modest proposal ;)

-Michael