[swift-evolution] Mutability for Foundation types in Swift

Nate Cook natecook at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:55:37 CDT 2016

This looks amazing—really looking forward to seeing the progression here!

I do have a question about how copy-on-write is handled for larger data types like Data (née NSData). The standard library types that can use bridged storage use immutable classes until there's a mutation, at which point the contents are copied into native storage. From then on (as long as the native storage is still uniquely referenced) the contents can be mutated in place without any copying.

With the proposed value semantics around an NSData instance, how do you handle that in-place mutation? When bridging from Objective-C to Swift, it sounds like you'll call copy() on an NSData instance. Does NSMutableData perform the role of the native storage when mutating? If so, is another copy needed when bridging a Data instance backed by NSMutableData back to NSData?

The proposal says: "For reference-holding types like Data, we simply pass our interior NSData pointer back to Objective-C. The underlying data is not copied at bridging time." If the Data instance is backed by NSMutableData, can we still successfully check for uniqueness once we pass it back to Objective-C?

Thanks!
Nate