[swift-evolution] Notes from Swift core team 2016-04-20 design discussion

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Fri Apr 22 12:04:11 CDT 2016

Sure, but I personally want to configure delegates early, when the delegate is set.

It may be inappropriate to send a synthetic message through (e.g. give me the table row height for arbitrary index -1 so I can detect if you have overridden behavior)

A default implementation may help the caller, but some API do consider a non-default implementation to be a flag in itself.

I don’t think you can meet current objective-c usage and meaning of optional protocols by collapsing the flag into default method behavior. This would cause problems when porting the objective-c caller of the delegate interface to swift.

-DW