[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Safer half-open range operator

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Fri Apr 22 11:46:59 CDT 2016

on Fri Apr 22 2016, "Luis Henrique B. Sousa via swift-evolution" <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> is this syntax reasonably simple to implement?

If you mean a syntax that allows 0..<-2, it's implementable but I'd be
opposed to it.  You'd have to introduce a new overload of ..< that
produced something other than a Range or CountableRange, because those
have a precondition that the LHS is <= the RHS.

> Or is there another solution that would work with less impact in terms
> of design?  I mean the subscript with a label on it,
> i.e. collection[label: Range<Index>]

I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities :-)

> [...]
>     > I like the idea in theory, but the question is; is it really safer to
>     > return a result that the developer may not have wanted, versus an
>     > error
>     > indicating that a mistake may have been made? I wonder if perhaps
>     > there
>     > could be an alternative, such as a variation of the operator like
>     > so:
>     >
>     > let b = a [0 &..< 5]// Equivalent to let b = a[0 ..< min(5,
>     > a.endIndex)],
>     > becomes let b = a[0 ..< 3]
>     >
>     > I’m just not sure that we can assume that an array index out of
>     > range error
>     > is okay without some kind of indication from the developer, as
>     > otherwise we
>     > could end up returning a partial slice, which could end up causing
>     > an error
>     > elsewhere where the size of the slice is assumed to be 5 but isn’t.
>     >
>     > On 11 Apr 2016, at 13:23, Luis Henrique B. Sousa via
>     > swift-evolution
>     > <swift-evolution at swift.org
>     > <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>>
>     > wrote:
>     >
>     > This proposal seeks to provide a safer ..< (aka half-open range
>     > operator)
>     > in order to avoid **Array index out of range** errors in
>     > execution time.
>     >
>     > Here is my first draft for this proposal:
>     >
>     https://github.com/luish/swift-evolution/blob/half-open-range-operator/proposals/nnnn-safer-half-open-range-operator.md
>
>     >
>     > In short, doing that in Swift causes a runtime error:
>     >
>     > leta =[1,2,3]
>     > letb =a[0..<5]
>     > print(b)
>     >
>     > > Error running code:
>     > > fatal error: Array index out of range
>     >
>     > The proposed solution is to slice the array returning all
>     > elements that
>     > are below the half-open operator, even though the number of
>     > elements is
>     > lesser than the ending of the half-open operator. So the example
>     > above
>     > would return [1,2,3].
>     > We can see this very behaviour in other languages, such as
>     > Python and
>     > Ruby as shown in the proposal draft.
>     >
>     > This would eliminate the need for verifications on the array
>     > size before
>     > slicing it -- and consequently runtime errors in cases when the
>     > programmer didn't.
>     >
>     > Viewing that it is my very first proposal, any feedback will be

Dave