[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0068: Expanding Swift Self to class members and value types

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 02:20:07 CDT 2016

I feel like we should separate all these self/Self/dynamicType explicity.

For example :

DynamicSelf - where we use "self.dynamicType" in instance methods and
"self" in class/static methods

#ThisType (or #Type or #Self or ?) - where we need a replacement for "the
exactly type name where this method is declared"

I.e. you'll have
   struct SomeType {
     func f(x: #ThisType) {}
   }

protocol SomeProtocol {
   func f(x: #ThisType)
}

class SomeClass: SomeProtocol {
   func f(x: #ThisType) {   }
}

but

class SomeClass {
   class func classF() { DynamicSelf.someOtherClassF() }

   func f() {
     DynamicSelf.someStaticMethod()