[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Enforce argument labels on tuples

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Wed Apr 20 10:47:35 CDT 2016

There is no data type problem I'm trying to solve, also I could life with anonymous tuples.

Remember the old VFL (Visual Format Language) for AutoLayout? Right now I'm building a small library which will do the same thing with some extra options.

Enforced argument labeling will result in some good syntax sugar for my library.

For example a VFL string "H:|-10-[view]" might look lile this '|-(margin: 10)-(view)' with some custom operator magic, labeled tuples and actual view instances compared to the old string parsing version.

Lets say I want to build a more complex VFL layout:

|-(margin: 10, option: .CenterBoth, priority: 400)-(view)-(otherView)-|

Developer A might just ignore the labeling and write: |-(10, .CenterBoth, 400)-(view)-(otherView)-|

A half year later developer B will read this code and wonder whats the meaning of these values of the tuple.

In your example you're totally right that using internal anonymous tuples might be easier but as you said yourself one could reconstruct the tuple with the corresponding labels.

--
Adrian Zubarev