[swift-evolution] [SR-933] Rename flatten to flattened

Patrick Smith pgwsmith at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 09:10:20 CDT 2016

On keeping map() as map() but keeping the -ed and -ing guideline for other APIs:
What defines prior art really? I’m fairly new to functional programming, but I imagine there is a plethora of other API designs that can be copied. In Swift, do they all take on the past-particle naming?
Which consistency is more important, consistency with other popular libraries, or with the Swift naming guidelines recommending -ed and -ing?
What happens if new API designs are created from here on, are they considered to be prior art or not?
On why is there a need for -ed and -ing in the first place?:
Naming is called one of the hardest things in computer science for a reason. Swift is meant to make programming easier, so why doesn’t it make naming easier? Just keep things simple. Who cares if it’s not proper english (you will never achieve perfect sentences), as the APIs are far superior in readability and comprehension than either strcat() or stringByAppendingString() of old.
Objective-C was derided for its overly verbose naming, and now Swift wants to introduce a new quirk to again set it apart from other languages?

A divide in naming
In functional programming, the emphasis is on what is returned. filter returns an affected copy.
In object oriented programming, the emphasis is usually the target. NSMutableArray.removeLastObject() affects the receiver, and returns nothing.
They are both verbs in present tense, yet behave differently.
We have two worlds coming together in Swift, and somehow they have to meet up. So I see why the -ed and -ing rule was created, especially as it suits the Cocoa framework well with the newly shortened API naming. But still, I think it’s somewhat messy (and potentially unfortunate as Cocoa and its dependence on reference types will one day be the past).
The guidelines affect both functional and object-oriented approaches (the Swift standard library includes pieces of both), and they affect both value and reference types. They are broad rules for a varied landscape.
Patrick Smith