[swift-evolution] [Proposal draft] Enhanced floating-point protocols

Greg Parker gparker at apple.com
Tue Apr 19 00:44:36 CDT 2016

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 10:07 PM, Stephen Canon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 14, 2016, at 8:34 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon <brent at architechies.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Stephen Canon wrote:
>>>
>>> public protocol Arithmetic
>>
>> Is there a rationale for the name "Arithmetic"? There's probably nothing wrong with it, but I would have guessed you'd use the name "Number”.
>
> Dave A. came up with the name, though I think it’s a good one.  Number isn’t bad either.

Does Number hew too close to Foundation's NSNumber name?

`Arithmetic` provides a beautiful hook for grammar pedants: as a protocol name it ought to be pronounced as the adjective "arithMEtic" and not the noun "aRITHmetic". Complaining about that sounds like fun to me, but naming the protocol `Arithmetical` would avoid that issue if others disagree.

--
Greg Parker     gparker at apple.com     Runtime Wrangler