[swift-evolution] API Guideline bugs and enhancements

Howard Lovatt howard.lovatt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 18:35:15 CDT 2016

The current API guideline suggests using xxx for mutating methods and
either xxxed or xxxing for non-mutating, functional methods. I would
suggest refine these rules to:

  1. For mutating methods and get and set properties use an imperative verb
phrase, e.g. `x.sort()`, use `xxx`.
  2. For others use:
    2.a. For eagerly evaluated, get-only properties or non-mutating
methods, e.g. `x.sorted()`, use `xxxed`. In particular in `let s =
x.sorted()`, `s` does not change if `x` subsequently changes.
    2.b. For lazily evaluated, get-only properties or non-mutating methods,
e.g. `x.mapping(...)`, use `xxxing`. In particular in `let m =
x.mapping()`, `m` does change if `x` changes.

I am proposing using the name to identify when the evaluation happens.

--
-- Howard.