[swift-evolution] [Proposal] mapValues

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Sun Apr 17 08:58:23 CDT 2016

I am definitely +1 for adding the initializer in any case.

I would like to see it (based on Nate’s suggestion) have a “merge" parameter which takes a closure of (Key, Value, Value)throws->Value, which would be called to choose a value whenever a repeated key is encountered.  That parameter should have a default value which just traps.  That way the default behavior is to trap when a key is repeated, but it can still be overridden with a more appropriate behavior for the situation (e.g. keeping the first value, keeping the last, averaging them, etc…)

That said, I would still also like to see the functionality of mapValues (whatever it ends up being called) in the standard library.  It easily applies to 80-90% of my use cases, and allowing re-mapping of keys adds a lot of complexity which must be carefully considered (there is a lot more which can go wrong).  As swift is a practical language, it would be nice to have a quick and foolproof way to do this common task.

Thanks,
Jon