[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Unifying init parameters with properties

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Sat Apr 16 08:17:33 CDT 2016

Since we know the types of the properties, how about we replace the type in the signature with either an indication that the property should be automatically set, or better yet, the property which should be set:

class Foo
{
	let foo : String
	let bar : String
	let barCount : Int
	let baz : Int

	init(foo: self.foo, bar: self.bar, baz: self.baz)
	{
		self.barCount = bar.characters.count

That way you don’t always have to have the init’s parameter names match the names of the properties they set (even though they often would).  We could also allow a leading dot as a shorthand for ‘self.’

	init(foo: .foo, bar: .bar, baz: .baz)

I think I like explicit ‘self.’ better, but that may just be my preference.  In either case, the generated interface would show the actual type.

	// init(foo: String, bar: String, baz: Int)

Thanks,
Jon