[swift-evolution] [pitch] Eliminate the "T1 -> T2" syntax, require "(T1) -> T2"

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Fri Apr 15 19:30:40 CDT 2016

> On Apr 15, 2016, at 2:47 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff at apple.com> wrote:

>>> I feel like the current language no longer represents our reality, though (or at least, our current ideal vision for reality). We've pretty thoroughly broken the "functions have one argument" model.
>>
>> I don't see this syntax as an offshoot of the "functions always have one argument" model.  I agree that that model is dead.
>>
>> However, I don't think users require its death to be underlined and written in bold; it only ever surfaced to them in bugs anyway.  But many functions do, nonetheless, have only one argument; and because of another change to the model, where argument labels are becoming part of the function's name and not its type, that argument can be written as just a type.
>>
>> So to me, this question is whether we add a weird special-case rule that mandates the use of parentheses because they're required in a bunch of more complex but less common situations.
>>
>>> Changing the type grammar to reflect this seems good to me. I would think of it as changing the function type grammar to:
>>>
>>> 	function-type ::= '(' (type (',' type)*)? ')' '->' type
>>>
>>> which, since the argument list can containing 0, 1, or many individual arguments, makes the parens more grammatically necessary.
>>
>> This is tautological.
>
> I don't think it is just a tautology. Without encoding it in the grammar, there's an ambiguity between tuples and multiple arguments; () -> T could mean either "takes a single () argument" or "takes no arguments". We could "obviously" disambiguate in favor of the latter interpretation, but then you're introducing special cases in the other direction to keep the U -> T syntax working.

This is a fair point, and one which would come up with (Int,Int) -> Float as well — maybe the user really does mean to pass a single value that's an (Int,Int) pair.  I'm not sure this really works out to being a special case at the user level, though, since in either model the user trying to write a function that takes a single tuple-typed parameter simply has to introduce the extra parens: (()) -> Float or ((Int, Int)) -> Float.  (Assuming that the type system preserves that structure in any way, of course.)

John.