[swift-evolution] TreeLiteralConvertible

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Thu Apr 14 16:44:50 CDT 2016

>> 	extension Tree: LiftingConvertible {
>> 		init(lifting value: Value) {
>> 			self = .leaf(value)
>> 		}
>
> Another name for this feature is "user-defined implicit conversions".

This is absolutely a form of user-defined implicit conversion. It's a limited form (one possible `Lifted` for each `LiftingConvertible`), which may help make it more feasible, and it is basically a generalization of the special-cased Optional lifting, but it is a user-defined implicit conversion.

I understand and agree with the reasons for deferring implicit conversions. What I'm saying is that seeing this as a "tree literals" feature is a very narrow view of the overall problem.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies