[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0065 A New Model for Collections and Indices

plx plxswift at icloud.com
Wed Apr 13 17:08:04 CDT 2016

> [...]
>
>> Aside: `indices` being irregular can be a benefit in the context of
>> auto-complete.
>>
>>    * What is your evaluation of the proposal?
>>
>> +1, very much.
>>
>> As a change from the current model, it’s an across-the-board improvement for me,
>> at least.
>>
>> In a bigger-picture sense I think Swift would be better off by going *further*
>> on certain aspects, but have said all that before.
>>
>>    * Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to
>>    Swift?
>>
>> It is, again very much so.
>>
>>    * Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
>>
>> Depends on the framing of the question.
>>
>> Compared to the previous model, it’s an unqualified YES.
>>
>> As a general proposition, I think this design is a local optimum for overall
>> Swift-ness, but even so it’s creating a little un-Swifty pocket. It’s
>> “un-Swifty” in at least two ways:
>>
>> # 1: Relatively Unsafe, Pointer-Like Semantics
>>
>> Indices—unsurprisingly!—behave quite a bit like pointers, and similarly expose
>> *numerous* crashing combinations of `(value,operation)`:
>>
>> - self[endIndex]
>> - self[startIndex] // <- when empty
>> - successor(of: endIndex)
>> - predecessor(of: startIndex)
>>
>> …etc., which is *very much* reminiscent of the hazards of pointers. (Technically
>> “undefined” not “crashing”, but being realistic “crashing" is usually accurate).
>
> No, these are unspecified in the general case, not undefined.  Unless
> you're working with, e.g. `UnsafeMutableBufferPointer` (or you have a
> data race), there's no undefined behavior.  The big problem with
> pointers isn't what happens when they crash; it's what happens when they
> *don't*.
>
>> Although Swift uses `Optional` to mitigate the hazards of `nil` pointers (etc.),
>> you’re still left to your own devices for handling indices.
>
> `Optional` is not “mitigating hazards;” it's encoding the possibility of
> null in the type system.  It's non-optional things that mitigate hazards.
>
>> This isn’t news to anyone here, I’m sure, and may even be unavoidable; I’m just
>> pointing it out as an uncharacteristically-unsafe area in Swift’s standard APIs,
>> and closer to how `!` and IOUs behave than otherwise typical.
>
> Any time there's a required relationship between two things, e.g. a
> receiver and an argument, you have a precondition.  The existence of a
> precondition does not make something unsafe at all in the sense that
> Swift uses the term.  Safety in swift is about type and memory safety in
> the absence of data races, not about having APIs that respond sensibly
> to every possible combination of arguments.  Int.max + 1 will trap, but
> that doesn't make addition unsafe.
>
> Saying that it's close to how `!` behaves is not at all far from the
> truth, because `!` has a precondition that its argument is non-nil.

I meant it as a much more exact analogy.

In a collections-move-indices world, you *could* handle indices as pointers have been handled, bringing in support from the type-system:

  enum SaferIndex<T:Comparable> {
    case Position(T)
    case End
  }

…(yes, this is more-or-less `Optional` by another name).

The assumption above is `T` would be today’s “Index” types, w/o the value used for `endIndex` (e.g. 0..<self.count for an array, the non-`endIndex` values of `DictionaryIndex` and `SetIndex`, and so on).

It would’ve been awkward to do this under the previous status quo—e.g. even for arrays your indices would have to have a back-reference to get the count, and thus couldn’t be plain integers—but the collection will now always be present to provide such info.

Cons:

- more overhead than “bare” indices
- doesn’t address invalidation (but what does, really?)

Pros:

- easier in some ways to handle things like e.g 0…Int.max
- the endIndex equivalent *never* invalidates
- compile-time help for end-index checking

Overall this *would* bring the treatment of indices closer to that for `?`—e.g., redefine the core type to omit the `nil`-like value, use an enum to reintroduce that value when necessary—than to `!`.

I don’t think the above is an *improvement* over the proposal, but it’s a route that could have been taken.