[swift-evolution] [Idea] How to eliminate 'optional' protocol requirements

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Wed Apr 13 11:51:34 CDT 2016

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 11:24 PM, Douglas Gregor <dgregor at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 11, 2016, at 10:15 AM, Joe Groff <jgroff at apple.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Apr 7, 2016, at 5:12 PM, Douglas Gregor via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> One could perhaps work around (a), (b), and (d) by allowing compound (function-like) names like tableView(_:viewFor:row:) for properties, and work around (c) by allowing a method to satisfy the requirement for a read-only property, but at this point you’ve invented more language hacks than the existing @objc-only optional requirements. So, I don’t think there is a solution here.
>>
>> To me, compound names for closure properties and satisfying property requirements with methods aren't hacks, they're missing features we ought to support anyway. I strongly prefer implementing those over your proposed solution.
>
> I haven’t seen these come up in any discussion that wasn’t about mapping Objective-C optional requirements to something else in Swift. What other use cases are you envisioning?

The desire for labeled closure variables has come up a few times. For instance, it would provide a way to give local label names to closure arguments. In C, you can say:

	void doStuff(void (*onCompletion)(void *result, void *error)) {
		if (auto x = /*doStuff*/) {
			onCompletion(/*result*/ x, /*error*/ nullptr);
		} else {
			onCompletion(/*result*/ nullptr, /*error*/ getLastError());
		}
		onCompletion(/*result*/ x, /*error*/ y);
	}

where `result` and `error` don't affect the type, but describe the use of the parameters to the completion closure. It'd be nice to do the same in Swift:

	func doStuff(onCompletion completed(result:error:): (AnyObject?, AnyObject?) -> ()) {
		/*doStuff*/
		completed(result: x, error: nil)
	}

There's also the case of using if let to test for presence of a method, where you'd really like to keep the labels on the local binding:

	if let doStuff(to:with:) = object.doStuff(to:with:) {

We currently lean on the vestige of labeled-tuples-as-function-arguments to do this, but I think we ultimately want to get away from that.

-Joe