[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0065 A New Model for Collections and Indices

plx plxswift at icloud.com
Tue Apr 12 22:46:55 CDT 2016

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 6:11 PM, Haravikk <swift-evolution at haravikk.me> wrote:
>
> I’m a +1 for the proposal (but as I’ve implemented a bunch of collections recently I’m not sure I’m looking forward to having to update my code to reflect the new pattern ;)
>
> But I’m interested by these concerns:
>
>> On 12 Apr 2016, at 17:57, plx via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> # 1: Relatively Unsafe, Pointer-Like Semantics
>> # 2: Index Invalidation Unrepresented In Type System
>
> It seems to me as though we could solve #1 by solving #2 actually; if we knew when indices were invalid, then unless we’re storing .endIndex or using .startIndex or .endIndex on an empty collection (rather than .first and .last) then there should no issues of the safety of these “pointers" anymore.

FWIW I think “solving” invalidation in the sense of being able to detect invalidity is useful, but what I’d personally be more interested in is e.g. something like this:

  protocol Collection {

    // throw this into the definition:
    static var indexCharacteristics: IndexCharacteristics { get }

  }

  extension RangeReplaceableCollection {

    mutating func removeElementsFailing(@noescape predicate: (Element) -> Bool) {
      if Self.indexCharacteristics.removalOnlyInvalidatesRightward() {
        // presumptive “fast path”, deleting “back-to-front” to
        // avoid making a copy. Just for sake of illustration!
        for index in self.indices.dropLast().reverse() where !predicate(self[index]) {
          self.removeAtIndex(index)
        }
      } else {
        // presumptive “slow path”, we rebuild ourself with the failing elements omitted
        self = Self(self.lazy.filter() { predicate($0) })
        // ^ assuming self-assignment allowed...

…e.g. some way to get some kind of coarse-grained behavior-characterization of “what actions invalidate which indices”, thereby allowing one to know when various approaches will work.

Invalidation is hard and I wouldn’t want anything held up to try and find a solution first.