[swift-evolution] [Proposal]Make .map return the calling collection type

Yogev Sitton yogev.sitton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 03:55:45 CDT 2016

Map is great for transforming an array of objects - it is very useful and I use it a lot.
I would love to use Map with Dictionaries and other collections as well.

As an example - let’s say I have a dictionary [String : Person] - that maps a person to an ID.
I want to use the map function a get a [String : String] - a dictionary that maps a person’s name to an ID.
Currently - the map method is defined to always return an array so that is not possible to do.

Obviously there are a lot of ways to accomplish the same task - but it would be very nice to be able to use map for other types than Array.