[swift-evolution] [Idea] How to eliminate 'optional' protocol requirements

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Mon Apr 11 12:44:00 CDT 2016

I think we have the following asks:
- support methods on a protocol that may or may not be implemented by a confirming type
- support statically (per type) detection of whether one of these methods have been implemented so that you can have consistent behavior while interacting with a particular type
- static methods may or may not be attractive to implement via additional subtype protocol conformance (depending on how many independent optional methods exist)
- support dynamically (based on internal logic and state) support a particular method, for instance with UI event dispatching
- Ability to determine if a method is available on a type outside of calling it to detect default functionality
- compatibility (where appropriate) with existing objc protocols with optional methods

Obviously, optional as it exists today only solves some of these asks. Some of these may not deserve to be (or be suitably improved upon by being) language features. Some of these are possible today in a form through Objective C interop, but this are not available on other platforms

-DW

Sent with my Thumbs