[swift-evolution] [Idea] How to eliminate 'optional' protocol requirements

Dietmar Planitzer dplanitzer at q.com
Sun Apr 10 13:38:49 CDT 2016

I’m not sure whether you’ve read the conclusion of my mail since you’ve only commented on the introductory part. In the conclusion I wrote that a possible approach for the replacement of ObjC-style optional protocol methods would be:

1) the default implementation of a protocol method must be defined in the protocol (so just like in native Swift protocols today).

2) we add a way for a protocol provider to check whether the protocol adopter has provided an “override” of the default method.

3) we improve the Xcode interface generator so that it clearly shows whether a protocol method comes with a default or whether it doesn’t.

(1) should address your main concern since it would guarantee that the protocol provider is always able to call the protocol method without having to do any checks. (2) would address the main concern of protocol providers who need to guarantee that the protocol using type achieves a certain minimum speed and does not use more than a certain amount of memory for its internal book-keeping.

(3) is important because it would fix one of the many aspects that make Swift protocols confusing for people who are new to the language.

Finally, let me restate that the goal should really be that we completely remove the syntactical differences between @objc and native Swift protocols. There should be one concept of protocol in Swift and we should be able to cover the use cases of formal and informal ObjC Protocols with them. The use case of formal protocols is already covered today. The use case of informal protocols could be covered with the approach above.

So is this an approach that would be acceptable to you?

Regards,

Dietmar Planitzer