[swift-evolution] [Draft]: Introducing a striding(by:) method on 3.0 ranges

davesweeris at mac.com davesweeris at mac.com
Sat Apr 9 22:47:09 CDT 2016

It’s not a matter of floating point error accumulation… At least on my machine, once a Double hits +/-∞, there’s no way that I know of to get back to normal floating point numbers. That is to say, for *all* normal, finite values of x, "-Double.infinity + x" will just return “-inf". If x is to equal Double.infinity, Double.NaN, or Double.quietNaN, then it’ll return “nan” (which, incidentally, will fail the regular equality test… Double.NaN isn’t even equal to itself; I think checking the floating point class is the way to do it).

I could easily be missing something, but AFAICT the only way to always get the correct sequence (without splitting the floating point types off into their own thing) is either have a negative stride swap start and end *before* the StrideTo starts generating values (that is, *not* by just calling `.reverse()` on something with a positive stride), or to allow “0 ..< -Double.infinity” to be a valid range (with the negative stride being implied).

- Dave Sweeris