[swift-evolution] Ability to pack, order and align certain types of Structs (like in C)

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Apr 9 08:13:25 CDT 2016

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 8:02 AM, hitstergtd+swiftevo--- via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Chris,
>
> Thanks for supporting it in principle. I understand that it is out of
> scope for Swift 3 and that using C is one of the only decent
> workarounds at the moment.
>
> However, since you concur with what is being requested, would it be OK to:
>
> (a) Draft a summary proposal and commit it to the swift-evolution@
> repository, perhaps under "Other Proposals" or "Post v3"? and/or
> (b) Add some notes under docs/, perhaps in docs/LibraryEvolution.rst
> regarding this topic?

We don’t have a hard rule against discussing things beyond swift 3, but we generally discourage it.  There is too much important stuff going on in the swift 3 timeframe as it is, and the distraction factor can be very high.  I’d suggest filing a bug in bugs.swift.org, and you can work on a sketch of a proposal there.  Thanks!

-Chris