[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0059: Update API Naming Guidelines and Rewrite Set APIs Accordingly

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Fri Apr 8 13:17:03 CDT 2016

on Thu Apr 07 2016, Taras Zakharko <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> replaceWith* is also my favourite here (same for *InPlace).

The latter is great because it's a suffix, but it is not as grammatical
as the former.  Aside from syntactic weight, I'd say these are about
equal.

> Sure, it might be verbose, but the semantics is very clear and seems
> apply to a wide range of relevant situations. In the end, there are
> hundreds if not more messages in this (and related) threads and i am
> sure that you guys spent even more time in meetings talking about
> this. If I understand correctly, Swifts goal is clarity over
> laconicity. If finding sensible laconic terminology turns out to be
> surprisingly difficult, a more verbose one might be a better choice
> after all.

I don't think “formXXX” is “not sensible,” even though it may have
disadvantages.  If “replaceWithXXX” is an improvement, IMO, it's a
marginal one.  “formXXX” actually has one important advantage over
“replaceWithXXX:” the former suggests the true performance nature of the
operation, which is *the* reason you'd choose it over the non-in-place
version, whereas the latter strongly suggests an implementation like
`self = XXX()`.

> — Taras

>>> It seems to me that what you're sort of saying is "replaceWith", but
>>> that's kind of a mouthful.
>>
>> It's at least very explicit.  We did consider that, and chose “form” as
>> a more reasonable convention.  However, we weren't thinking of the
>> “from” problem.  I prefer “replaceWith” over “become” for some reason I
>> can't identify.
>>
>>> A quick thesaurus check suggests that the only decent single-world
>>> alternative would be "substitute", but that sounds like a regex
>>> operation. I think this is a dead end.
>>
>> --
>> Dave

Dave