[swift-evolution] [Idea] Find alternatives to `switch self`

Kenny Leung kenny_leung at pobox.com
Fri Apr 8 13:13:19 CDT 2016

I much prefer the Java style of enums, which are essentially classes limited to a fixed set of instances. In Java, Suit would look like this:

public enum Suit {
   Hearts("♥", true),
   Spades("♠", false),
   Diamonds("♦", true),
   Clubs("♣", false);

   String description;
   boolean isRed;

   Suit(String description, boolean isRed) {
      this.description = description;
      this.isRed = isRed;

The class java.lang.Enum already provides handy methods like
    name(),
    ordinal(),
    toString(), and its inverse, valueOf()
    values() - to get all values