[swift-evolution] Generic Alaises

James Campbell james at supmenow.com
Wed Apr 6 15:48:46 CDT 2016

Ross put it better than I ever could :) yes this is what I meant

Sent from Supmenow.com

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 1:45 PM -0700, "Ross O'Brien" <narrativium+swift at gmail.com> wrote:

It's not the same topic. Let's take an example: suppose we have a data structure for a graph of nodes and edges, where the nodes and edges are indexed and both have values. So we have a Graph<NodeIndex : Hashable, EdgeIndex : Hashable, NodeValue, EdgeValue>.Now suppose we want a shortest path from one node to another, and we have a data structure to represent that. Now we have a Path<NodeIndex : Hashable, EdgeIndex : Hashable, NodeValue, EdgeValue>. They both have the same 'generic signature'. If you're navigating a Graph<String, Int, City, Motorway>, you're going to want a Path<String, Int, City, Motorway> as output.
Right now you might write that as:func shortestPath<NodeIndex, EdgeIndex, NodeValue, EdgeValue>(graph:Graph<NodeIndex, EdgeIndex, NodeValue, EdgeValue>, startNode: NodeIndex, endNode: NodeIndex> -> Path<NodeIndex, EdgeIndex, NodeValue, EdgeValue>
It might save a fair amount of typing if we had a generic equivalent to both typealias and associatedtype.
associatedgenerics GraphElements = <NodeIndex : Hashable, EdgeIndex : Hashable, NodeValue, EdgeValue>func shortestPath<GraphElements>(graph: Graph<GraphElements>, startNode<GraphElements.NodeIndex>, endNode<GraphElements.NodeIndex>) -> Path<GraphElements>
genericalias NavigationGraphElements = GraphElements<String, Int, City, Motorway>
typealias NavigationGraph = Graph<NavigationGraphElements>// navigationGraph.shortestPath() now returns a Path<NavigationGraphElements>// this last part is closest to the proposal under review.