[swift-evolution] Draft Proposal SwiftPM System Module Search Paths

Daniel Dunbar daniel_dunbar at apple.com
Wed Apr 6 13:44:01 CDT 2016

> On Apr 6, 2016, at 11:11 AM, Max Howell <max.howell at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't see that information in the man page (also, I am not familiar enough with pkg-config to know how results described in that man page translate to other systems).
>>
>> Specifically, that man page does not seem to document where on disk the .pc files live. How are we going to know that?
>>
>> For example, one on random VM I have lying about I see .pc files here:
>> --
>> /# find / -name \*.pc | xargs dirname | sort | uniq
>> /usr/lib/pkgconfig
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/mit-krb5
>> /usr/share/pkgconfig
>> --
>> and the pkg-config tool appears to be able to find results from all of those. How would we know those directory names if we don't have a dependency on the actual tool?
>
> There is a config file and an environment variable.
>
> Do you need me to document them completely so that we can move forward with this?

No, not at all, I think the proposal makes complete sense and should be moved along.

Nevertheless, I still want to understand how it will work... I might be missing some information from the man page but I just don't see where this is described. It *looks* to me like the default search list is hard coded into the tool.

 - Daniel