[swift-evolution] [Pre-Draft] Nil-coalescing and errors

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Wed Apr 6 12:45:09 CDT 2016

I think I'm with Sean on this one. Optionals and throwing don't have enough to do with each other to actually come up with a specific operator or method for this. I can't help but see this as two ideas glued together:

- "By this point in my execution I need a non-optional value, otherwise ______"
- "_____ happened, therefore execution has failed and I should throw an error"

…and I'm not sure these ideas coincide enough to be worth gluing together. There are a lot of other ways to get a non-optional value out of an optional ('??', '!', and 'guard let' with some other action), and there are a lot of other ways to fail besides an optional being nil (status code came back as error, unexpected data, connection timeout).

I'd like to see some real-world examples of this before we did anything with it.

Jordan