[swift-evolution] Feature proposal: Range operator with step

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Wed Apr 6 11:40:00 CDT 2016

> For example, there are all kinds of other ways to slice this:
>
>    stride(over: 0..<200, by: -2)

This seems like a particularly good solution. The way I understand it at least, it would allow ranges to always be ordered, with the only difference being whether it went start-to-end or end-to-start, determined by the stride's sign.

It would also avoid the need for additional range operators. The main reason you would need `>..` is so you could say `array.endIndex>..array.startIndex`, but by using the sign to decide which direction to stride over the range, you instead stride over `array.startIndex..<array.endIndex`, which is exactly what we already have.

Unfortunately, moving away from `stride(from:to/through:by:)` would kind of mess up an idea I've been developing for providing an "induction sequence" to replace the more complicated C-style for use cases, but I suppose that's the way it goes...

(Link to that: https://gist.github.com/brentdax/b24dd89a770d9fe376984498d3185187)

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies