[swift-evolution] My personal beef with leading-dot syntax

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Mon Apr 4 19:55:28 CDT 2016

I believe the confusion comes from language references only using the leading dot to access enumerated values, and not to access an option set implementation or something like UIColor.

I can’t speak to the compiler processing impact or language impact of potential conflicts of looking these up without the leading dot. I can see how it would be confusing for people to have a very terse syntax for looking up static members on *other* types, and expecting either that same terse syntax or something comparable for referring to static members on their *own* type. Such syntax would have to tread softly on distinguishing static vs dynamic type resolution for looking up said members.

-DW