[swift-evolution] Feature proposal: Range operator with step

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Mon Apr 4 13:22:43 CDT 2016

on Sat Apr 02 2016, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> All righty, here's a proof-of-concept for non-error-accumulating
> stride based on the swift-3-indexing-model branch. I tried to
> incorporate the feedback received in the interim. Namely:
>
> 1. Only floating point types get this slightly more computationally
> intensive "new" stride; all other types get the "classic" stride. If
> accepted, this new code could be appended to Stride.swift and exist
> alongside current code, which doesn't need to be modified.
>
> 2. Based on discussions about UnsafePointer, etc., it dawned on me
> that what really determines whether a StrideTo<T> accumulates error
> isn't T but rather T.Stride, so based on Dave's insights above we get
> "new stride" if T.Stride == FloatingPoint.
>
> 3. I need to multiply floating point values, and if I understand
> correctly multiplication will be guaranteed by a revised SignedNumber
> protocol; for now, I've used a _FloatingPointStrideable protocol as a
> workaround. Note that Float80 doesn't conform to FloatingPoint, so it
> isn't retroactively modeled to conform to _FloatingPointStrideable.
> Nothing's lost for the moment because we can't use Float80 values for
> "new stride" anyway, since it doesn't currently implement the isNormal
> property (see below for why I use that property).
>
> 4. I considered Dave's suggestion whether we could avoid introducing
> new types, instead modifying the existing StrideToIterator and
> StrideThroughIterator and relying on compiler optimization to turn
> "new" stride into "classic" stride for StrideTo<Int>, etc.; however,
> because the differences between "classic" stride and "new" stride
> extend beyond the iterator's next() method (see below), I thought it
> best to keep the floating point logic in distinct types.
>
> 5. One difference discussed was how to handle edge cases involving
> lots of iterations; I incorporated Howard's suggestions here, so
> whether a stride requires more than Int.max steps is tested
> upfront--as a consequence, infinite loops are impossible. I would love
> it if, as Thorsten suggests, we could use BigInts, but of course
> there's no such type in the stdlib and adding one would have to be
> another discussion altogether.
>
> 6. The stride increment can't be zero; for a floating point type, it
> also obviously can't be infinity or NaN. I'm inclined to think that
> subnormal increments should be out of the question as well, so my
> proposed streamlined criterion is simply `stride.isNormal`. Comments
> on this are welcome...
>
> Not included:
> 1. I know Ranges are in flux, so I've held off on extending Range with
> a striding(by:) method in this proof-of-concept.

They're not in flux, except for not having been reviewed yet; they are
settled in the swift-3-indexing-model branch.

#1 and #2 are mutually exclusive; we prefer #1 as it removes questions
about the meaning of "to" or "through."

> 2. No tests written yet for this proof-of-concept; I noticed that
> there's a stub for testing strides with bounds of type Double, but
> there's a comment about things not being ready because Double conforms
> to RandomIndexType--not sure what to make of that.

Comments in that branch are badly out-of-date.  It's worth trying that,
especially since there is no RandomAccessIndexType in that branch any
longer.

--
Dave