[swift-evolution] Revisiting 0004 etc. - Swift deprecations

Ross O'Brien narrativium+swift at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 20:19:15 CDT 2016

Because you're coming to the discussion late, the arguments you're making
are a little out of date. It's no longer a case of not removing these
features. It's now a case of having a compelling reason to put them back.

I trust you've read the proposals that were put forward. For the benefit of
those reading, they're here:
https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0004-remove-pre-post-inc-decrement.md
https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0007-remove-c-style-for-loops.md

There are several disadvantages listed for keeping these two features.
Those are the arguments you need to counter. As it happens, both proposals
refer to the metric of 'if this wasn't already in Swift, would it be
accepted for Swift 3?' and both features have been deemed to fail this
criterion. That's what you need to address.

Bear in mind these decisions were made several months ago, and both
features have already been deprecated as of Swift 2.2, which is now in use
in production code, many developers (including myself) are already
refactoring their code to remove uses of these syntax forms.