[swift-evolution] [Accepted, pending implementation] SE-0054: Abolish ImplicitlyUnwrappedOptional type

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Fri Apr 1 13:05:21 CDT 2016

> On Mar 31, 2016, at 11:43 PM, Fabian Ehrentraud <Fabian.Ehrentraud at willhaben.at> wrote:
>
> Great to hear IUOs losing ground :-)
>
> Might adding additional compiler warnings as described in SR-104 accompany the implementation of this proposal well?
> https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-104 <https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-104>
This is definitely related, but orthogonal to SE-0054.

Just MHO, but I think warning on every implicit unwrap would completely defeat the point of having the T! feature in the first place: if that were the model we wanted, we would just import unaudited pointers as optional.  Doing that has been extensively discussed and is not a good idea.

-Chris