[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Accepted, pending implementation] SE-0054: Abolish ImplicitlyUnwrappedOptional type

Shawn Erickson shawnce at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 16:24:56 CDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 9:43 AM Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> That said, this is the sort of proposal that can have a profound impact on
> the actual experience using unaudited APIs.  The core team believes that
> the experience will be good, but we would like to get some experience
> moving a couple of existing projects (both low-level code that interacts
> with C, and an “App” project working with high level frameworks) to see
> what the impact is in practice.  If something unexpected comes up, we will
> revisit this, and potentially reject it later.

On the topic of unaudited APIs. Does a recommended way exist that I as say
a user of on an unaudited C API / library can add attributes to the C API
for my use in Swift? (e.g. code that I don't own, I just use)

It is likely a number of C APIs won't get attributed for improved use in
Swift by the authors so having a good way that the community could overlay
attributes for the benefit of Swift could be helpful.

Anything better then cloning headers?

-Shawn