[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Make optional protocol methods first class citizens

Developer devteam.codafi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:56:40 CDT 2016

To be fair, the "spirit of UIKit" that you mention comes from a time and language that encouraged OO and OO alone.  Optional methods are, more often than not, backed by gigantic bit fields that keep track of whether or not the delegate actually conforms to the entirety of a protocol, which opens up a huge vector for bugs and complicates the internal logic of the control.  I think Swift gives us a better opportunity to rethink the old approach not encourage it, don't you think?

For example, using a method returning an optional (or even better, a proper value) means you can give a proper semantics for what it means to not implement a particular method rather than "no selector here".

~Robert Widmann