[swift-evolution] A (better) Swift Equivalent For The Classical For-Loop With Numeric Scalars

Taras Zakharko taras.zakharko at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 31 03:11:03 CDT 2016

> On 30 Mar 2016, at 22:05, Ted F.A. van Gaalen via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Again I need to emphasize very strongly that this for-loop really
> has absolutely
>      nothing, nada, zilch, niente, nichts, niets, niks, rien, zero, nenio,
> to do with the:
>
> for i in stride(….
>
> or any other for in… variant working with collections.

Of course it does. Collection-based for loop can express exactly the same semantics, so why do you need a new construct when you already have a perfectly good one to do the job?

> but, once again -
> provided you don’t want to do other operations
> on the generated collection before iterating -
> a collection is used here totally unnecessary,
> which puts a burden on performance because the contents
> of a collection are unpredictable

I find it quite irritating that you keep repeating these untrue facts. Again: both for loops compile to exactly the same code.

> It is also tedious to write and (as a matter of my personal taste) downright ugly.

Right, because

 for d in stride(from:10, to: 5, by: 0-.1, tolerance: 0.01)

is that much more tedious to write than what you propose

Best,

 Taras