[swift-evolution] SE-0025: Scoped Access Level, next steps

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Thu Mar 31 01:33:19 CDT 2016

Perhaps it's because I'm not a native English speaker, but interfile doesn't read well at all to me whereas fileprivate is crystal-clear.

> On 31 Mar 2016, at 08:21, T.J. Usiyan via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> public
> internal
> (fileprivate | interfile)
> private
>
> Either choice is fine with me
>
>> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Jesse Squires via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>> I really like this. +1 for the following:
>>
>> public
>> internal
>> fileprivate
>> private
>>
>> -Jesse

>>> I’ve seen a number of concerns on this list about moduleprivate, and how it penalizes folks who want to explicitly write their access control.  I’ve come to think that there is yes-another possible path forward here (which I haven’t seen mentioned so far):
>>>
>>> public
>>> internal
>>> fileprivate
>>> private
>>>
>>> The advantages, as I see them are:
>>> 1) We keep public and private meaning the “right” and “obvious” things.
>>> 2) The declmodifiers “read” correctly.
>>> 3) Compared to Swift 2, there is almost no change.  The only thing that changes is that some uses of Swift 2 “private” will be migrated to “fileprivate”, which makes the intent of the code much more clear.
>>> 4) fileprivate is the unusual and not-really-precedented-in-other-languages modifier, and it would still be “googable”.
>>> 5) The addresses the “excessively long” declmodifier problem that several people are concerned with.