[swift-evolution] Implicit Type Conversion For Numerics Where Possible.

Ted F.A. van Gaalen tedvgiosdev at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 17:31:10 CDT 2016

> On 31.03.2016, at 00:12, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 30, 2016, at 5:01 AM, Ted F.A. van Gaalen via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Currently, one has to deal with explicit conversion between numerical types,
>> which in many cases is unnecessary and costing time to code
>> for things that are quite obvious,
>> and cluttering the source, making it less readable.
>
> Yes, I would also like to get to a model where “smaller things” can implicitly promote to “larger things”, when there is no loss of data (and in the case of CGFloat, we can be more loose with precision IMO).
Yes, I think so too.

> This is covered under the guise of being able to define a subtype relationship between structs, which is something that I and many other people would love to have, but it is outside the scope of Swift 3.
Technically, I don’t quite comprehend this yet, but will look it up :o)

> -Chris

Thanks, Chris, I will now clear my head’s contents clean by listening to Led Zeppelin
 (definitely not ISO conform) through my headphones at ca. 110 dB…
this of course blows right through all scope terminators known to man :o)