[swift-evolution] Implicit Type Conversion For Numerics Where Possible.

Developer devteam.codafi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 13:29:03 CDT 2016

I believe section 6.3 of the ISO/C99 specification describes its integer promotion rules and Appendix J describes undefined behavior as a consequence of integer and floating point coercion.  I refer to these when I speak of "rules".

As long as data loss is an "unintended" effect of a certain class of coercions, I don't believe it deserves to be implicit.  If you "know what you're doing", the preference so far has been to tell the compiler that and use the constructors provided in the Swift Standard Library to perform explicit truncation.  Even in C, if you can be more specific with a cast in cases where you intend data loss, you probably should be.

~Robert Widmann