[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0054: Abolish ImplicitlyUnwrappedOptional type

Bernd Ohr (jazzbox) jazzbox at 7zz.de
Sat Mar 26 05:54:50 CDT 2016

> * What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I don’t like the proposal.

> * Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

I don't agree that IUOs are a transitional technology as long as there is an import of C libraries.

The only problem I see that IUO’s are being used where it is not necessary, either out of ignorance or convenience.

My counter proposal: IUO’s are only allowed (in pure Swift files) with private scope (filePrivate) and not with internal or public scope! In this way the uncontrolled spread of IUO’s can be most easily prevented.

An additional restriction could be that IUO’s are only allowed in files that import C or ObjC libraries.

> * Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

No, because it makes the use of IUO’s much harder (IMHO) where it is really necessary.

> * If you have you used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

N/A

> * How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I read the proposal and had a look at some of my code that uses IUO’s