[swift-evolution] Feature proposal: Range operator with step

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 22:35:17 CDT 2016

I'd reply inline but I'm working around some technical limitations on the go here. Agreed that anything countable should be good for a Range that conforms to Collection. Well, anything finite, maybe. See below about countably infinite ranges.Re hypothetical Countable protocol:I'm not advocating for another protocol for the numeric type. I'll take your word for it that they aren't jolly, though I don't know why.The issue as I see it is this: currently, Range is documented as a collection of *discrete* index values. If Intervals are going away, does a Range<Float> model a countable set of Floats with unit stride, a finite set of Floats in the technical sense that there exists only a finite set of representable numbers, or an uncountable set?The former two preserves the current definition of Range as a collection of discrete values but may be astonishing to users. But, if we agree that the last scenario is most intuitive, how then can we make the distinction between a "Range" that represents an uncountable set of things with an upper and lower bound and one that represents a countable set of things?Thinking more on this, expanding Range to floating point types opens you up to another inconsistency. Can the bounds be -inf and inf? I don't see why that should be a problem for an Interval, but now we're in for some trouble if you want it for a Range that can be strided through. How about 0.0 and inf? That makes sense to allow. But why should the ranges I'm allowed to specify be constrained by what makes sense to stride?So the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the logic for what Range-Interval hybrids can be strided through can't neatly accommodate floating point types. If you merge Range and Interval, I still want to be able to specify `-Double.infinity..<Double.infinity`. But if I can do that, then Range<Double> shouldn't even have `striding(by:)`.