[swift-evolution] Request: Multiple Bool signatures

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Fri Mar 25 17:33:49 CDT 2016

I am looking for examples of method/function signatures that use multiple Boolean flags, e.g.

func generateContact(withAddress: Bool, withEmail: Bool, withPhone: Bool) -> Customer // not my code

If you have app code or library code around that you can check, I would greatly appreciate if you can share signatures with me or just generally comment on how often this pattern shows up in your daily life. I am specifically looking for: use of two or more separate Boolean parameters passed as flags.

I would also welcome examples of option sets that replaced Boolean flags with a note as to whether that option set type is used elsewhere in your app.

I am following up to an action item that Brent Royal-Gordon mentioned on-list a while back but I want real supporting motivating code evidence before I move forward with a draft proposal.

Feel free to email me off-list. Thank you,  -- Erica