[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0054: Abolish ImplicitlyUnwrappedOptional type

Joseph Lord joseph at human-friendly.com
Fri Mar 25 15:10:02 CDT 2016

On 25/03/2016 15:24, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution wrote:
> Hello Swift community,
>
> The review of "Abolish ImplicitlyUnwrappedOptional type" begins now and runs through March 30th. The proposal is available here:
>
> 	https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0054-abolish-iuo.md

As I don't use IUO optionals I'm really fairly neutral on the proposal.
I just wanted to mention with the powerful tools we have for dealing
with optionals (optional, chaining, nil-coalescing, map, flatmap, guard,
and let - thanks Chris and team) it really would be quite feasible to do
away with IUOs completely. I don't think the community is ready for that
yet so I'm not proposing that course of action at this time but such a
proposal wouldn't get a universally hostile response.

Even force unwrap is something that I only do test code since flatmap
was added to the Standard Library (I used to have my own implementation
of flatmap with a force unwrap after a filter which was the only
production use I've put force unwrap to).

Joseph