[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Factory Initializers

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Thu Mar 24 19:12:39 CDT 2016

Comments inline.

> On Mar 24, 2016, at 12:10 AM, Riley Testut <rileytestut at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> While I do believe your proposed additions have their benefits, my gut tells me this is too large a change to Swift for an arguably small gain. For this proposal, I'm wanting to keep the change as minimalistic as possible, while still providing enough flexibility and use cases to warrant it.

I can definitely see the argument that extensibility is out of scope for Swift 3, but I do want to make sure that it is possible for us to have extensibility in the future (that we don’t block ourselves from doing it).

I strongly disagree that the gain is small.  One of the core benefits of both Swift/ObjC (and now POP) is the ability to extend things post-hoc, without access to the original code.

I often write libraries & SDKs, so the users of my code don't have access to the original code.  I guess extensibility is less necessary when you control the entire codebase, but you still have to refactor your factory whenever you subclass (or adhere to a protocol), which I find problematic.

This is something I run into a lot while writing actual code, so it isn’t just a theoretical concern.

> Interesting you bring up the registering of subclasses, as that is similar to the very original proposal, and actually similar to what I'm doing in my own app. Effectively, I have an Objective-C base class, and in +load it dynamically finds all subclasses using the Objective-C runtime, and stores a reference to them. Then in the initializer, it returns the appropriate subclass based on the initialization parameters. This was my solution to the superclass not having to explicitly know each individual subclass.
>
> Using factory initializers, however, this pattern could be used in pure Swift, albeit with some minor modifications. At program start, the program could register subclasses with the superclass, and then in the initializer would simply return the appropriate subclass (similar to NSURLProtocol, I believe).

Yes, I have also used load in this way in ObjC.  In Swift, I think the compiler could easily build an array/table of the overloads of factory inits.  This avoids having to register explicitly (the declaration itself implies intent to register), and doesn’t take up any cycles during execution.

I ran into the problem of when to register the other day in a current project, as Swift doesn’t have an equivalent to +load that I am aware of.  I had to settle for something of a hack which gets called on first use… but it was only a partial solution which worked in that particular case.  How do the swift classes/enums/structs get called to register themselves?

We may want to propose adding a +load equivalent for Swift types, since it does come up occasionally. It is one of those things which you don’t need often, but when you do, you really need it.  Ironically, this was one of the uses of the original feature I talked about earlier (we used it to provide the equivalent of +load, awakeFromNib, etc… in the language).

> As for rationale for protocol (factory) initializers, a common pattern I've come across when developing my internal frameworks is to design a protocol, and then to provide a default implementation of the protocol with a type (typically a struct). I feel this relationship could be bridged easier by simply returning this type from a protocol initializer, which could even potentially allow me to declare the actual type as private, so for all intents and purposes the client does simply get an initialized protocol object (similar in part to creating an anonymous class conforming to a protocol in Java).

I strongly agree that we should have factory initializers for protocols for the reasons you state here, plus many others.  It just seems like a natural fit.

I would like to see a 3 stage approach:

Stage 1:  Declaring an init as “factory” allows you to return any fully inited object which fits the type (including calling self.init like a convenience init would and then returning it). If the init is failable, you can also return nil.  This works both on classes and protocols.

Stage 2:  The compiler builds a table of the overrides of a given factory init, and there is some syntax to call them (e.g. “let sub = subclasses.init(value)”) such that the first one to return non-nil is the return value to that call.  Thorsten’s depth first + alphabetical ordering would be adequate to make the behavior predictable.  Again, this should work for both classes and protocols. (I am open to better ideas for syntax/naming)

Stage 3: We allow greater control over the ordering in the table. This still needs thought both on syntax and method.  Something similar to operator precedence (or autolayout priority) would work in a pinch, but isn’t super elegant. In practice, it might be enough just to be able to declare that something needs to be before/after a specific subclass in the list.

Note: A slightly different approach to stage 2 (for classes) might have only the direct subclasses in the table, and then the subclasses have the option to call off to their own subclasses in the same manner if desired.  This has the tradeoff that each level needs to plan for extensibility (i.e. you can’t override something which wasn’t expecting to be subclassed), but I do like how it simplifies the model a bit.

I have a feeling that the proper syntax for stages 2/3 may become more obvious once the design work around mixins/protocols+storage gets done.  It may just fall out of the disambiguation syntax...

Thanks,
Jon