[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0053 Remove explicit use of let from Function Parameters

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Thu Mar 24 17:31:14 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I'm in favor of the change, but not the proposal or review.

This seems like a mere omission from SE-0003 "Removing var from Function Parameters" <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0003-remove-var-parameters.md>. I don't think it's a good idea to set a precedent that even facepalmingly obvious mistakes in proposals can only be fixed with a full review cycle.

Rather, I think this proposal should be rejected and, after a simple, informal discussion on the list, SE-0003 should be amended to eliminate the `let` keyword. There is precedent for rejecting a proposal because the proposal shouldn't have been necessary: SE-0013 "Remove Partial Application of Non-Final Super Methods" <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0013-remove-partial-application-super.md> was rejected because the core team decided the evolution process wasn't right for that particular change.

I believe the core team should do that again here, rather than turning the evolution process into a straightjacket preventing it from making simple, straightforward, and obviously correct changes which have already passed review in spirit, if not in letter.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies