[swift-evolution] SE-0025: Scoped Access Level, next steps

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Thu Mar 24 17:14:55 CDT 2016

> On Mar 24, 2016, at 4:10 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> Honestly, though, I'm not sure why people are working so hard to cram `private` in there. Does `moduleprivate` or `private(module)` really convey more information than `module`? Particularly once you've looked it up and know that it's an access modifier?

I think it does. `module` could mean many things related to how Swift creates and consumes modules.
`moduleprivate` combines something about access levels (public/private) and scope (module), is easy to
Google, offers few "wrong" interpretations. By using a longer keyword, it is less flexible in meaning and
more fixed in purpose.

I hesitate to make this thread any longer but since it's already bikeshedding, I felt it was worth adding another few cents.

-- E