[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Change the endIndex value for closed Ranges and Collections

Andrew Bennett cacoyi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:07:12 CDT 2016

Hi Pedro,

I'm going to refer to what you're proposing as *lastIndex* to distinguish
it from the current endIndex.

Worth considering is indexes for things like a linked list (or other
ForwardIndexType collections):

   - You can represent the endIndex in O(1) by using a nullable internally.
   - It's likely to be an O(n) operation resolve the *lastIndex* property*.*

The current system seems much cleaner to represent empty ranges:

   - How do you represent an empty range with *lastIndex*? Range(start: 0,
   end: -1) ?
   - Does this mean that UInt cannot be a ForwardIndexType, or cannot be
   used with Range, how do you show this in the protocol?

You should also consider migration in your proposal:

   - I don't think migration will be trivial, or even necessarily safely
   automated. I think the changes will be extensive.
   - Reusing the same name will likely make it confusing when people google
   Swift code, it will be unclear if code is in the old system or the new one.
   - If you do a formal proposal I recommend it proposes to deprecate the
   current system and introduce a new property with a different, clearer,
   name. I recommend *lastIndex*.

It's probably worthwhile for you to consider your proposed changes in the
context of this upcoming proposal, I think it's very likely to go ahead in
some form:

https://github.com/gribozavr/swift-evolution/blob/new-collections/proposals/NNNN-collections-move-indices.md

I'm in favour of having a new field:
    // for example
    var lastIndex: Index? {
        let count = self.count
        guard count > 0 else { return nil }
        return startIndex.advancedBy(count-1)
    }

It's optional to represent an empty collection.

I'm not in favour of the proposal as it is stated. It's a fairly well
established convention for endIndex to be the index after the last element,
although perhaps it could be called something clearer. I think that
discussion is a good idea.

Andrew Bennett