[swift-evolution] idea: immutable setters for structs and tuples?

Maximilian Hünenberger m.huenenberger at me.com
Wed Mar 23 04:08:08 CDT 2016

I cannot remember any use of such a feature but instead of a language feature there is also a reasonable library solution:

// inspired by the lens idea (of Joe Groff I think)
// there is probably a better name
func lens<T>(value: T, lensClosure: inout T -> ()) -> T {
        var value = value
        lensClosure(&value)
        return value
}

// usage
let john = (firstName:"John", lastName:"Doe")
let alice = lens(john) { $0.firstName = "Alice" }

Kind regards
- Maximilian